To get your website indexed faster by Google, you can submit your site to Google using Webmaster Tools. Submitting your site with Webmaster Tools is a great way to speed up the indexing process; in addition, it will give you more visibility into when your site becomes indexed. (As a reminder, ‘indexed’ refers to search engine indexing, which collects and stores data from websites to facilitate fast and accurate information retrieval).
Your Webmaster can always take care of this for you, but if you would like to do it yourself you can follow the steps below.
Before you can submit your site for indexing, you will need to claim site ownership through Google. Follow these steps first:
1. Sign into Google Webmaster Tools (if you don’t have Google Webmaster tools yet, check out these instructions from Google on how to get started).
2. Once you are signed in, you will have to claim your site ownership. Click on ‘Add a Property’ on your dashboard.
3. Input the URL for your property.
4. Select ‘Alternate Methods.’
5. Select ‘HTML Tag Option’ and copy the meta tag.
6. In a new window, log into your Vizlly account and head to Publisher > Web Marketing > Edit your Website > Website Settings. Paste the meta tag under ‘Google Webmaster Tools HTML Tag.’ All you want to paste is the tag. Delete everything up to and including ‘content=’ as well as “ and then click ‘Save.’
7. Back in Google, click ‘Verify.’
8. And that’s it for this step – you’ve now told Google that you are the owner of this site.
Next, you’ll need to submit your site to Google for Indexing. Follow these steps.
1. Head to your Google Webmaster Tools, and select the property you would like to submit for indexing.
2. Go to ‘Crawl’
3. Select ‘Sitemaps’
4. Select ‘Add/Test Sitemap’
5. Add ‘sitemap.xml’ to the end of the URL and then click ‘Submit Sitemap.’
6. Click ‘Refresh the Page’
7. You should see an Indexed Status of ‘Pending’
And that’s it – you’ve submitted your Website to Google for Indexing!
If you would like to check your indexing status, you can always do so by heading to Google Webmaster Tools, selecting the property you would like to check, and then clicking on ‘Index Status’, which can be found under Google Index. See these steps below!