Ready to start adding engaging text to your media items?
Adding text is an important step in the customization of your property's website, mobile sites, Facebook Apps or Digital Brochures. Short and long descriptions provide the opportunity to fully convey what your images are all about, allowing you to add depth and context to your property's visual story. It keeps travel shoppers engaged and looking at your property longer, increasing the chances that they will make the leap from shopper to guest!
Basic Rules-of-Thumb for Text Descriptions
Whether you write it yourself, or pull it from your website, here are a few basics of well-performing text descriptions.
- Draft copy in a word processor to allow you to check spelling before adding to Vizlly
- Short Descriptions should be no more than 90 characters in length and should be catchy, inviting the reader to continue
- Long descriptions should be limited to about 15 lines of text to avoid scrolling
- Use several small paragraphs rather than a block of text as these are easier to read
- Break up the text and highlight important points using bulleted lists, bold text and underlining
- Text should be relevant to the media item - it is unlikely that a single text description will adequately describe each of your images
More General Tips for Media Item Text Descriptions
1. Start with a warm welcome (Exterior, property and lobby images)
Text for your first few media items should welcome travel shoppers and invite them to take a look around your property - virtually.
Highlight the major selling features of your property including
- proximity to airport and popular area attractions
- Complimentary services included with the stay
- Distinguishing features that make your property stand out from the competition
- Feature amenities that will appeal to your target customer segment
2. All rooms are not created equal (Room images)
When writing text for guest rooms and suites, be sure to highlight features and ammenities that are unique to each room type.
Add in the details of what isn't obvious in the image such as the view, specialty bedding, wet bar, walkout balcony or large bathroom
3. Give them reasons to choose an upgraded room (Upgraded room images)
Highlight any added perks that guests staying in upgraded rooms can expect, over and above what comes standard.
4. Show off what you've got (Feature and Amenity images)
Amenities can set your property apart from competitors, so be sure to highlight all of the details including hours of operation, what's included and any extras that might be worth mentioning.
5. Don't hide the details (Meeting and Event Space Images)
Meeting planners will appreciate having all of the details about your meeting facilities up front and with easy to read formatting. Use a bulleted list to highlight everything they need to know:
- room size
- maximum number of guests
- flexibility of the space in size and layout
- special features of the room
- catering and A/V services available
6. What's for Dinner? (Dining images)
Knowing in advance the dining options that will be available at or near your property could help travel shoppers choose you over your competition. Don't forget to include:
- Types of cuisine
- hours of operation
- special features such as big screen TVs, kids, menu or anything else that might be of interest to your target customers
7. Breakfast is served!
If you serve breakfast, make sure travel shoppers know about it. Be sure to mention:
- Where in your facility the breakfast is served
- Is it complimentary?
- List a few menu options
- Hours of service