Google has issued an ultimatum to all websites: get mobile optimized or you’ll get lost in the search engine rankings. If your website is mobile-friendly, it will look like this when searched for on a mobile device:
Websites that are labeled as mobile-friendly have better positioning in search engine rankings because of the easy and high-quality user experience they provide on devices. Prior to this decision, non-optimized sites were not impacted – but not anymore! Google has put the user’s experience first, with their understanding of the frustration that accompanies trying to use a non-optimized website on a mobile device.
What does this mean for your property’s website?
This information should inspire you to get mobile-optimized! Here are a few stats for you to consider in case you’re still not convinced:
- More than 1.2 billion people worldwide use the web via mobile
- Mobile now accounts for half of all e-commerce traffic
- Mobile commerce is growing 3 times faster than overall commerce
Having a mobile optimized site is critical for any business to thrive because of the user experience. Many people abandon sites that are difficult to navigate, load slowly, or require pinching and zooming on the screen.
To determine if your website is mobile-friendly, you can take this quick test from Google.
Your mobile website will need these key features to meet Google’s criteria of being mobile-friendly:
- You tell your property’s story through engaging media (images, virtual tours and video) that is optimized for each device with zoom, pan, landscape and portrait capabilities
- You use text that is readable to avoid zooming
- Links are placed far enough apart so the correct ones can easily be tapped
- You provide links to call, easily accessible maps, direct booking links and special offers sections
- Your site maintains a consistent theme
If your website is not mobile-friendly, you can quickly and easily create an optimized website using Vizlly. This feature is available to all DMS and DMS+ customers. Simply follow these instructions and in no time you’ll have a Google-approved mobile-optimized site that ranks higher in the search engine results, making it easier for you to reach travel shoppers.