Leisure travelers are one of the most important travel segments, with three out of four domestic trips taken for leisure purposes. Everyone enjoys a vacation, which means that leisure travelers consist of travelers from all ages, genders, and cultures. Make sure your property stands out for this important segment by targeting your story on the channels these travel shoppers are using to research and book travel.
8 Things That Matter Most to Leisure Travelers.
- Location: For many vacationers, location is what drove their booking decision. They’re especially looking for things they can do in and around the area, new restaurants to try, and cultural activities to enjoy – so your property’s area attractions, including shopping, dining and entertainment, matter a lot.
- Price: 85% of leisure travelers said price was the most important factor when choosing a destination! Your property’s special offers are important to leisure travelers.
- Dining Options: One of the things leisure travelers look forward to when on vacation is not having to cook! These travelers are going to want to know about your property’s dining options, including restaurants, coffee shops, snack bars and room service. Don’t offer onsite dining? Provide guests with recommendations about local restaurants.
- Unique experiences: Recreational travelers want to create memories during their trip and that includes finding a property that can provide them with a unique experience. For example, if your property has a ‘haunted guest room’, or onsite dance lessons, highlight this!
- Complimentary breakfast: This is a great perk that any traveler will appreciate.
- WiFi: Leisure travelers are also “workcationers” or “bleisures” – meaning they mix business with pleasure, and check email while they’re on vacation. Providing high-speed (and preferably free) WiFi is key.
- Helpful concierges: Leisure travelers appreciate a helpful concierge who can provide them with insider information and tips on the best places to eat, shop and visit in the area.
- Recreational Facilities & Spa Services: Not surprisingly, leisure travelers want to relax and have fun – so, a property’s recreational facilities (pools, golfing, spas, steam rooms, etc.) are very important to them.
Fine-Tune your Story to Speak to Leisure Travelers
Now that you know what leisure travelers are looking for, make sure you fine-tune your property story to showcase the things that matter most to this segment.
On Facebook, create stories and provide visuals that speak specifically to this group.
The Best Western Edgewater Resort uses their Facebook Page to highlight nearby local attractions that appeal to leisure travelers. They promote a mix of sports, family, relaxation and other activities to stand out to leisure travelers of all types.
Create special offers to showcase the value travel shoppers will receive by choosing you. A good deal is important to leisure travelers, so make sure you highlight your special offers.
Since price is an important factor to leisure travelers, the Comfort Suites Alamo/River Walk highlights their many different special offers for travel shoppers - and it's an eclectic mix! This property knows their target audience and promotes special offers that appeal to local graduates, weddings, and guests attending the local rodeo.
Create stories that show off your hotel's recreational amenities.
Hotel amenities are an important factor for leisure guests when it comes to choosing a property. The Northern Hotel highlights their restaurant, onsite gym and more!
Target Leisure Travelers where they’re searching: Publish a Targeted Story on Leisure Travel Channels
Now that you know what leisure travelers want, and how to fine-tune your story to speak to this segment, it’s time to customize your Digital Brochure on leisure-focused travel channels.
Publish a leisure-focused Digital Brochure on the following leisure travel channels:
-aRes Travel (http://www.arestravel.com/)
-Apple Vacations (http://www.applevacations.com/)
-Flight Centre (http://www.flightcentre.ca/)
-Pleasant Holidays (http://www.pleasantholidays.com/)
-Room Key (http://www.roomkey.com/)
Customize your Digital Brochure