What is a Page Redirect?
When moving an existing property website to Vizlly, you can preserve your search engine ranking by using Page Redirects. Page Redirects, also known as 301 Redirects, help to maintain existing links in search engines, blogs, etc. and redirect travel shoppers and search engines to the appropriate page on the new Vizlly website. Page Redirects also inform search engines to update old page links to the new Vizlly website links for future shoppers.
In simple terms, you can think of a Page Redirect as a ‘change of address form’ that you would get from a post office – if someone doesn’t know you’ve moved, you want to make sure all your mail is forwarded to your new place!
Why is it important?
A Page Redirect is essential to maintaining the traffic/rankings that a page may have been generating prior to the change in its URL structure. Setting up a Page Redirect is one of the most important steps to help ensure you maintain the SEO of your website; without it, you’ll be throwing away the web authority your previous domain collected. Page Redirects will help you maintain your existing search engine rankings, this way you don’t lose any traffic after switching from one URL to another. If travel shoppers don’t know your website has moved, you want to make sure that they are forwarded to the new, correct place whenever they type in your old URL or click on a leftover link – and a Page Redirect will make sure this happens.
How do I redirect a page to my Vizlly website?
1. Login to Vizlly, hover over Publisher and select ‘Web Marketing.’
2. Hover over your website and select ‘Edit.’
3. Click on Settings, then click on Website Settings and scroll down to the Page Redirects section. Select 'Click Here.'
4. A box will pop up that allows you to manage your Page Redirects. Type in the page you would like to redirect, but only the part that follows .com – in this example we have used /rooms.php, assuming the whole URL for that page would look like http://www.myhotel.com/rooms.php. Select the new destination for this page; since it’s a rooms page, we’re going to redirect this page to the new Vizlly page entitled ‘Suites.’
5. If you would like to add another redirect, click on ‘Add Another Request’ and then add your next redirect. You can add as many redirects as you’d like. Once you have finished, click on ‘Done.’
6. You will now see your Page Redirect(s) under your Website Settings. Make sure you click ‘Save’ before you exit.
To delete a Page Redirect, simply hover over the redirect and click on the delete button.
To edit a redirect, click on the URL and then make your changes.