How to Create a Google Maps API Key
Our Vizlly powered by Bookassist websites use a Google Maps application in order to display maps. Before you can go live with your new website, you will need to get a Google Maps API Key to ensure that the application will work on your website, and travel shoppers will be able to enjoy a better user experience.
Getting a Google Maps API Key is easy and will only take a few minutes of your time! Simply follow the steps outlined below, and be sure to send the API Key to your Success Manager once it’s created.
Note: You will need to sign in to the Google Cloud Platform using a Gmail or G Suite account before you can create a project and get an API Key.
Creating a Project
- Go to the Google Maps Platform.
- Click on the “Get Started” button.
- Check off the “Maps” option and click “Continue”
- Create a name for your new project. For example, New Website API Key.
- Accept the terms and conditions and click next.
You will need to set up a billing account to use a Google Maps API Key. Google provides a recurring $200 monthly credit of free usage, automatically applied each month.
For Dynamic Maps, which is what we use on our websites, this credit allows up to 28,000 loads per month for free. Additional loads of up to 100,000 loads in a month will incur a $7 charge. View the full pricing sheet.
Note: By signing up, Google will automatically provide you with a 12-month free trial with $300 in credit to spend over the next 12 months.
To enable billing:
- Once the project has been created, the screen will load to give you the option to enable billing. Select “Create Billing Account”.
- Select your country and accept the terms of service.
- Create your payment profile by filling in your contact and billing information.
- Select “Start Your Free Trial”.
- A new box will appear to enable APIs. Select “Next”.
- Once you’ve enabled your APIs, your API Key will be generated.
- Copy your API Key and send it to your Success Manager!
Once the API Key is created, follow these steps to secure your API Key and ensure that your maps will load properly on your website.
Secure Your API Key
Adding restrictions to your API Key will help prevent unauthorized use and quota theft.
- Go to your Google Console.
- Hover over APIs & Services and select “Credentials”.
- In the new page, select “API Key”.
- Under “Application Restrictions” check off “HTTP Referrers (web sites)”.
- Under “Website Restrictions” select “Add an Item”.
- In the text box, add your website domain, click “Done”, then “Save”.
- Go to your Google Console.
- Hover over APIs & Services and select “Dashboard”.
- Click on “Enable APIs and Services”.
- In the new screen, ensure that API is enabled and select “Manage”.
- In the new screen, select “Quotas”.
- Ensure that your map loads per day is set to “Unlimited”.
Your Google Maps API Key set up is complete! Please remember to send your API Key to your Success Manager prior to going live with your new website, and if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Written by Stephanie Sulit, CHDM, Content Specialist Team Lead